2013-07-10

I survived the great SSA rollout of 2013

Today's run to my restart retreat was a little more special than usual because, of course, today was a pretty significant day in Second Life (well, for those of us who live on or hang out on LeTigre regions). For the first time since the rollout of mesh and bigger prims I was sat waiting for a big and important new thing to show up, along with most of the rest of the grid.

So, I sat there watching the kettle, waiting for it to boil...


...wondering how well it was going to go. When the region came back I TPd home. When I landed home I turned grey all over for a couple of seconds and then.... there I was, textured as I should be. No drama at all.

So far, other than the fact that an outfit change is very fast, there's no real obvious difference. Which is a good thing. I did notice one small niggle though: when I logged in this evening my face was a little fuzzy but, of course, rebaking my avatar no longer does anything. I had to change outfits to fix that. Perhaps there's a better way that I'm not aware of yet.

There's one very curious thing about the move to SSA though. Zanda, the Z&A shop bot, is running on a rather old bot client. I'd fully expected it to run into problems, with Zanda not showing correctly. Thing is, so far, he's fine. He's textured all nice, as he should be. I've had others look at him and he looks fine to them too. I've even cleared my texture cache just in case his texture was cached locally, or something -- no difference. There's no way the bot application is SSA-compatible, the code hasn't been touched since late 2010, so I'm unsure how or why he's working (could it be there's some sort of hand-over period and the doom and gloom about older viewers wasn't totally correct?).

My plan was to move him over to METAbolt. I've already got the script working so he can carry out doing his duties (handling group invites) but I think I'll hold off until I actually see him fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment