2012-02-12

A change of skin

Following on from yesterday's post about my current experiences with Firestorm 3.3.0, this evening I switched skins to check if the problems I was having that I took to be skin-related were down to the skin choice.

Using the "Firestorm/Grey" skin (instead of vintage, which is what I was using) does seem to remove the problem with the overlapping controls in the object content permissions dialog:


At least, sort of. As you can see above, there is still a bit of an overlap and, looking at the version of this dialog from the vintage skin:


you can see that the text that tells you how the permission change went seems to overlap about as much as the text area in the vintage skin. So it might be that the problem is in the design of the dialog and it's just more obvious in the vintage skin.

One thing I have noticed with Firestorm and this dialog, that I don't like, is that it doesn't give you any sort of progress when the permissions are being bulk changed. Whereas in Phoenix you get a list telling you which items have been processed, in Firestorm it seems it just puts the output in a single line, each progress overwriting the last. That's not terribly helpful.

Perhaps it's supposed to and what we're seeing here is a problem with the control that should contain that output? I'll test this a little more and consider doing a JIRA for this.

The other problem that I tested was the script window seasickness problem. With the "Firestorm/Grey" skin I'm seeing no evidence of that at all. It seems that it really is down to the vintage skin.

So, right now, if I'm going to be using Firestorm most of the time (and, the way it's going right now, I think I will be), it looks like the "Firestorm/Grey" skin is probably the best choice for me. At least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment