2013-08-11

Mul-ti-pass!

Anyone who reads the Z&A blog or is a member of the in-world Z&A group will know that, yesterday, the Raven Park dance was themed around the film The Fifth Element. My choice of costume was pretty obvious this time, even if it did mean I had to dye my hair red (yes, yes, I know, it should really have been bright orange -- you can't get my hair in bright orange and, sadly, it's not mod).


This build was lots of fun too. When it comes to making the skyboxes for the Raven Park dances I try and keep them as simple as possible, knowing that they're mostly a throwaway backdrop that people won't pay much attention to (not detailed attention anyway). So this time I went for something that was a nod to the opera scene, with a slowly rotating Earth and a huge field of starts in the background. The posts were made specially for the build too, quickly cobbled together with prims and then meshed with Mesh Studio.


I also couldn't resist knocking up a quick-n-dirty multipass for everyone. Just a silly prop that, when worn, would animate the avatar holding it and also add their profile picture to the pass:

[04:30] Mul-ti-pass!: Antony Fairport multipass! Mul-ti-pass!
The nice thing about making that is that it gave me a reason to look at how to get hold of an avatar's profile picture from a script. Hardly the greatest of challenges (goodness knows there's plenty of those sorts of things around the grid that hassle you when you land somewhere) but one of those things I've never figured out because I didn't have a need.

Now I know.

2 comments:

  1. Heh! That's a clever use of retrieving a profile picture, and likely the first one I find to be interesting enough as to wonder myself.

    Good idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      I just wish I'd had a bit more time (or, given myself a bit more time) to make it look less boxy and more like the original prop.

      Delete